Native American language * Native American cultures * Find Native American ancestors in your family tree

Mi'kmaq in the United States

Q: I am a M'iqmaq from Listuguj Quebec. I am living in the United States now. How can I register with the US government as a First Nations person?

Sponsored Links

A: There's only one Mi'kmaq band in the Unites States, the Aroostook Band of Micmacs. Here's their membership page: It looks like you can't just transfer your tribal membership, but it's possible for a Mi'kmaq person to belong to both the US band and a Canadian band, if there's any ancestry in common.

Also, here's a website from a Wabanaki organization on the Jay Treaty, which should apply to you:

Hope that helps!
Native Languages of the Americas

Related Links

 First Nations of Quebec
 Native American reservations in Maine
 Mi'kmaq language
 Mi'kmaq people

Give us feedback (or ask a question of your own!)
Back to our Native American mail

Would you like to help support our organization's work with endangered American Indian languages?

Native Languages of the Americas website 1998-2015 * Contacts and FAQ page